Saturday, April 16, 2011

Soul Surfer

I rate this movie 4+ kleenex.  I really could have used a few more.  There were some happy tears too.  The movie is based on the real-life story of the young, up-and-coming surfer, Bethany Hamilton, who had her arm bitten off by a shark.  The story carries the movie.  This sounds crazy, but I really liked how they did the shark attack.  They didn't try to build it up over a long time, it was kind of sudden, and the focus wasn't on the shark (not all gorey), but on the amazing, take-action reaction of Bethany and her friends, which is what saved her life.  There is a lot on how her faith helped her heal, and Carrie Underwood did a passable job as Bethany's youth group's leader.  There were a few parts where I felt the script was lame, especially the teenage friendly interaction shots.  But other than that, I liked it.  If you go, you MUST stay for the credits, I loved them, they show home movies of the real Bethany.  I give it 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment